Making positive changes is infectious… in a good way! Have you ever been in a situation where someone you see regularly like a friend or coworker makes a change and it inspires you to change, too? This month we are highlighting healthy eating. Being summer in the Southern Tier, there are so many options for choosing whole, fresh produce to introduce to your diet! So no excuses!!
As Dr. Leuci says, “Sugar is the Devil” and we have some tips for cutting it out of your diet to lose weight, gain more energy and muscle, and feel better!
Diet trends can come and go but it is hard to deny a good diet plan when you see the results! Maybe you notice that a friends clothes aren’t so snug or your neighbor is outside with seemingly endless energy!
We are keen to the paleo diet rules: Unlimited vegetables, lean meats and fish but NO breads, pastas, sugar, or dairy. It is the way cave-women used to eat! And this time of year, there are plenty of fresh veggies available so now is a better time than ever to make a commitment to better yourself. We like to shop Russell Farms, Frog Pong Farms, and the Otsiningo Farmer’s Market for produce.
Head over to our facebook page to tell us what your favorite healthy foods are, to share your success story, or a good recipe!!
And we would LOVE if you share your or your daughters or cousins or friends or granddaughters or sisters or aunts pictures from your local Proms on our facebook page.
Shout out to Johnson City Central School District! (since that is the district our office is located in)
Now that you will be following the clean-eating guidelines, here is a recipe that doesn’t break (too many) rules!
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground garlic
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Himalayan sea salt (to taste)
- 2 handfuls fresh organic spinach
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Protein of choice (2 organic chicken breasts, 10 large shrimp)
- Optional: Add in other vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, grape tomatoes, asparagus)
- Optional: Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan when serving
- Preheat oven to 375
- Roast spaghetti squash
- (or cheat, like Annie, and cut the squash in half the long way, place in a microwave-safe dish with a 1/4 cup water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 8 minutes)
- Prepare protein of choice (I grilled 2 organic chicken breasts and shrimp)
- In a medium-size pot add oil, garlic, and onion and sauté for for 3-5 minutes
- Add in spaghetti squash and mix well
- Add in sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and any other vegetables of choice
- Add in protein and mix well to combine
- Top with fresh basil and fresh parmesan (optional) and serve hot; taste and add Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Until next month…
Your friends at,
Greater Binghamton OB/GYN
365 Harry L Drive Suite 110
Johnson City, NY 13790
PHONE (607) 729-5805
FAX (607) 729-7714